Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Find

Strip Quilt Top from my collection

I was looking at this old top the other day. It seems to have
been set in the early 20th century. The seamstress included some great
black neon prints, characteristic of the 1900-1920 period..
But a few blocks, like the red and green basket,
are probably older. Perhaps she added some of her
old blocks left over from earlier projects.

I was looking for prints that might make
good reproductions

And for the first time noticed this...

A Union print
from the Civil War.
I don't have any of this so I was thrilled to find it.

Quite a bit of it was printed and it often wound
up in clothing.


The dress pictured above, although very indistinct, might be the same print.
The Smithsonian has a child's dress made from it. 



7 comments:

Jane said...

How very interesting. I couldn't imagine it as a Civil War print, but there it is on the dress. It reminds me of those cute country prints from the 80s. Wouldn't it make an adorable Irish chain with the flags and cannons fancy cut for the squares?

WoolenSails said...

I enjoy reading about prints and their history. I always thought, what I considered modern, was actually from the 18th and 19th centuries. Love that dress, and a fun idea for an american piece to hang on my peg rack.

Debbie

kelley said...

The strip quilt is so simple and interesting with all the fabrics...thanks for sharing this beauty

Denniele said...

Love the neon stripe! Can't wait to see what you do with the Union print.

Doreen NH said...

I was working on cutting out my blocks and I have a question about Block #4 Asylum. I am making the 8 inch block and the cutting instructions don't seem right to me. Is there a way to check them. I think its a typographical error. It says A: Cut 3 squares 8 1/2" x 3 1/8" B: cut 2 rectangles 3 1/8". As you can see the measurements for the three squares is actually a rectangle and the measurement for the the rectangles is just one number.....) Thanks for your help.

Barbara Brackman said...

Doreen. I switched the measurements. Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it in the original.

It should say:
A: Cut 3 squares 3-1/8" (3-3/16")
B: Cut two rectangles 8-1/2" x 3-1/8" (3-3/16")

Anonymous said...

How very interesting! There's also a red and white print under that I'd love to have. I can't tell, but it looks like a crazy quilt embellishment design and is sort of made in a stripe. That would be great! I haven't disliked any line you've done yet, though.